Saturday 11 April 2009

Online Meditation Course


A couple of years back I partook in an online meditation course run by the Vipassana Fellowship. This was really well designed and nicely paced and I can thoroughly recommend it, especially for those just starting their practice.

Vipassana Fellowship's next online meditation course begins on May 2nd and applications are welcome until the course starts.

This is their 12th year of offering online meditation courses and they have proven helpful to meditators in many countries around the world. The course serves as a practical introduction to samatha (tranquillity or serenity) and vipassana (insight) techniques from the Theravada tradition of Buddhism. Intended primarily for beginners, the 90 day course is also suitable for experienced meditators who wish to explore different aspects of the tradition. The emphasis is on building a sustainable and balanced meditation practice that is compatible with lay life.

The course takes place on their special website that offers daily material for each of the 90 days, interaction between participants and support from the tutor. Participants also have access to an audio supplement containing guided meditations and chants to support the online material. The course is led by Andrew Quernmore, an experienced meditation teacher based in England. Andrew wrote their first course and he has led each course since then.

Application details and further information is available here:

http://www.vipassana.com/course/

Courses usually begin in January, May and September each year.

1 comment:

  1. Vipassana meditation is the type of meditation technique I practice on a regular basis. Its basically one of the easiest to learn and most commonly practiced because it can be done anywhere.
    It has helped me to focus on living in the present moment and has made me a more calm and compassionate person. When I now face stressors in daily life, I do not react emotionally as I used to before. I now see the world and life in general in a much more accepting manner. This of course does not mean that my drive or aspirations have gone away. Having drive, dreams, and aspirations are one of the greatest and most exciting things in life.

    I strongly recommend this type of meditation because I have seen first hand how it can benefit you. Practicing mindfulness meditation, I realized I was not happy in my career (law) and have now dedicated myself to online publishing on the topic of meditation, meditation techniques, and benefits of meditation. My goal is to bring this information to people in the western world in an easy to understand, "plain English" manner so that they may apply meditation to their daily lives. I'd love to hear your comments about the site!

    All the best,
    Sonia Gallagher
    http://www.mymeditationgarden.com

    ReplyDelete